These days, we hear a lot of talk about “going green” and “sustainability,” but for the average person these things are secondary to making our lives easier and more efficient. Thankfully, it’s easy to have your cake and eat it, too. These 5 simple, painless habits will help put money back into your pocket while also putting you firmly in the “going green” category. 8) Take Shorter Showers – You’re an adult. You know what needs to be done in the shower. So get in, do it fast, and get out again. You’ll use less water and will lower your bills. Win/win!
7) File Your Taxes Electronically – This not only saves on paper and gas – those forms have to be transported by delivery trucks, after all – but it saves you time, too. Pass this on to your boss as well. Doing as much business as possible online is one of the best modern money-saving office tips.
6) Set Your Thermostat Properly – A few degrees lower in the winter and higher in the summer won’t have a big impact on your comfort levels – it’s easy to adjust to such small changes – but it WILL have an impact on your carbon footprint. Bonus: you’ll save money on your energy bills, too.
5) Don’t Use Sleep Mode! – Modern computers have a handy sleep mode that lets us give them a nap rather than fully shutting them down, making start up quick and painless. The problem is that your computer is still using up energy when in sleep mode. Shut it down at the end of the day!
4) Use Rechargeable Batteries – Keep any waste out of the landfill that you can! This will save you money on replacements, too.
3) Get All That Stuff Out Of Your Car – You may like the idea of having beach chairs, a DVD player, spare clothes, and enough books to last you a week in the trunk of your car, but all that extra weight decreases your car’s fuel efficiency. That means you’re burning more gas AND burning through more money with each trip.
2) Ditch That Bottled Water – You don’t need it. If you want to have water on the go, purchase a reusable water bottle and fill it with filtered water. Not only is that green, it will save you a lot of money in the long run, too.
1) Pay Your Bills Online – If you’re not paying your bills online you’re not simply behind the times, you’re also wasting a great deal of your time and resources. Like the modern paperless office, it’s easy to handle most of your household business online without ever needing to deal with paperwork.
These ideas are simple, they’re easy to incorporate into your life, they cost you nothing and will save you money. In other words, no more excuses. It’s time to make a change!